Whole Wheat Flatbread with Apples, Walnuts and Gorgonzola
Main Dish Recipes
Holiday prep keeping you busy? Try this healthy & easy flatbread pizza.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Difficulty Level: Easy
Source: U.S. Apple
- Dough Ingredients
- 3/4 cups unbleached flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 envelope (about 1 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Flatbread Ingredients
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds prepared whole wheat pizza dough (see recipe below)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup light cream
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 2 large firm-sweet apples, such as Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, or Jonagold, skin on, cored and cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- Kosher or sea salt to sprinkle
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces baby arugula leaves
Make the Dough
- 1. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or the container of a food processor), combine the flours, yeast and salt.
- 2. Put the water in a small bowl and pour in the oil.
- 3. Turn the mixer on low (or pulse the food processor) while you slowly drizzle in 1 cup of the water-oil mixture. A shaggy dough will begin to form.
- 4. Continue adding additional water to the mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the mixture forms a ball of dough.
- 5. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for about a minute to form a smooth ball.
- 6. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled, about 1 to 2 hours.
- 7. Deflate dough and transfer to a floured surface. Sprinkle with a little flour, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 20 minutes.
Make the Flatbread
- 8. Preheat the oven to 450 and set a rack to the lower position.
- 9. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and press the dough out in the pan to cover most of the bottom. Cover with plastic and set aside.
- 10. Put the walnuts in a heavy-bottomed skillet on low heat and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 11. Meanwhile, with a standing or electric mixer, beat the Gorgonzola with the cream to form a thick paste.
- 12. Uncover the dough and press it out again so that it covers the bottom of your pan. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then use a tablespoon to dot the dough all over with dollops of the Gorgonzola cream.
- 13. Arrange the apple slices over all, then sprinkle with walnuts, salt and pepper. Drizzle with a little more oil, then transfer to the oven and bake, turning the pan once, until crust is browned and toppings are bubbling, about 18 to 22 minutes.
- 14. Sprinkle with arugula leaves and serve.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.