Spicy Apple Relish
Side & Salad Recipes
A fresh, homemade side perfect for pork or chicken
Yield: 20 - 2 TBSP servings
Cook Time: 60-70 min
Difficulty Level: Easy
Source: Louise Fink-Smith of Mechanicsburg, PA
- 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced Pennsylvania-grown Gala apples
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup jalapeno pepper, seeded or not, diced
- ½ cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, julienned
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1½ teaspoon total - allspice and/or clove and/or nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups pure apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Apple juice or apple cider – as needed, if cooking pot begins to dry
- 1. Julienne apples. Toss with lemon juice. Hold in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 2. In large stock pot, over medium heat, add each ingredient in turn, stirring fully before adding next ingredient. Add apples last.
- 3. Simmer 60-70 minutes, stirring periodically. Do NOT let liquid dry up. If liquid is cooking off too quickly, add ¼ cup apple juice or cider at a time as needed. You want about the consistency of prepared relish – not as thick as preserves and not as thin as pickles in brine.
Variations and serving suggestions
- 1. Serve warm as a side for pork or chicken entrée. Can cool and serve cold as a side for sandwiches.
- 2. Serve warmed over vanilla ice cream for a sweet and tart surprise.
- 3. Cook for 85-90 minutes and process for canning using water bath method. Watch your liquid reduction carefully and do not let it get too thick.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.