Roasted Apple Soup
Side & Salad Recipes
This velvety soup was a category winner in the PA Apple Cookery Challenge
[Total: 2 Average: 3.5/5]
Yield: Serves 8
Difficulty Level: Medium
Source: Created by Rachael Powell from Elizabethtown, PA - a category winner in the first annual Pennsylvania Apple Cookery Challenge
- 4 cups peeled, cored, and diced Pennsylvania apples
- 2 cups peeled, diced butternut squash
- 1 cup diced, sweet onion
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup peeled, minced Pennsylvania apple
- 2 tbsp. onion, minced
- 2 tbsp. cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1. Toss diced apple, butternut squash, and onion with the pepper, salt, dried thyme, red pepper flakes and olive oil.
- 2. Roast at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring half way through.
- 3. After removing from the oven, add the roasted ingredients to a food processor or blender with 1/2 cup of chicken stock and puree until smooth.
- 4. Transfer the pureed mixture to a media saucepan, add the remaining stock and bring mixture to a boil.
- 5. Reduce to a simmer and add the heavy cream, being careful not to boil.
- 6. While the apple mixture is roasting, prepare the relish. Combine the apple and onion with chopped cranberries, lemon juice, ancho chili powder, and honey.
- 7. After the soup is heated through, serve in bowls with a heaping spoonful of the apple relish.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.