Double Apple Cheesecake
Light and fluffy cheesecake with double apple delight
Yield: 12 servings
Difficulty Level: Medium
Source: Carey Hoffman of Harrisburg, PA
- 1½ cup ginger snaps (approximately 16)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 Pennsylvania-grown Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 Pennsylvania-grown Fuji apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup pecans or other chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
- 2. In a food processor, grind ginger snaps into fine crumbs.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine ginger snap crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar and melted butter.
- 4. Press into the bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool then wrap the bottom of the pan with heavy duty foil. Wrap the entire way up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- 6. In a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, combine sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 7. Add chopped apples. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes or just until apples are tender, stirring gently as needed. Remove from heat.
- 8. Divide in half. Stir nuts in one half if desired. Cool both halves in refrigerator.
- 9. In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- 10. Stir in sour cream and vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition until well blended.
- 11. Fold in cooled half of apple mixture without pecans.
- 12. Pour filling onto crust.
- 13. Place pan into a larger pan, such as a lasagna pan. The foil-wrapped sides of the springform should not touch the inside of the water-bath pan.
- 14. Fill waterbath with boiling water until water is half-way up sides of the springform.
- 15. Bake at 350º F for 50 minutes or until only center of cake is slightly jiggly.
- 16. Cool to room temperature and then chill at least 4 hours.
- 17. Before serving, top with remaining apple topping.
Short on time? Substitute 2 (29-ounce) cans of Sliced Apples for Granny Smith and Fuji Apples.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.