Sweet and savory layers make this lasagna hit with the entire family!
[Total: 2 Average: 4.5/5]
Yield: 14 servings
Difficulty Level: Medium
Source: Malissa Plaza of York Haven, PA - a category finalist in the first annual Pennsylvania Apple Cookery Challenge
- 2cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 6 1/3 cups thinly sliced, peeled Pennsylvania apples
- 1 1/4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups and 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup and 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- 3. Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat, constantly stirring. Boil for 2 minutes.
- 4. Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5. Cool for 30 minutes. Makes 6 cups.
- 6. Cook lasagna noodles, drain and cool.
- 7. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- 8. Combine cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and almond extract in a medium bowl. Blend well.
- 9. Spread 3 cups of apple filling over the bottom of a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Layer with half of the noodles, and then the cheese mixture. Layer again with remaining noodles, and the rest of the apple filling.
- 10. Combine flour, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- 11. Sprinkle over top. Bake for 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 12. While baking, prepare garnish by mixing sour cream and 1/3 cup brown sugar until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- 13. Serve warm apple lasagna with sour cream garnish.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.