Apple Corn Chili
Main Dish Recipes
Chili that is Delicious and Low in Fat
[Total: 3 Average: 1.7/5]
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Medium
Source: Fruits & Veggies More Matters
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz.boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut to 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz. can yellow corn, no-salt-added, drained
- 2 red apples, such as Braeburn, Empire, or Fuji, chopped (skin on)
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (if desired)
- 15 oz. can black beans, no-salt-added, drained and rinsed
- 4.5 oz. can diced green chiles, drained
- 2 tsp sodium-free chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (if desired)
- 1. In a stockpot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil; add chicken and brown (about 5 minutes).
- 2. Remove chicken from pan.
- 3. Heat remaining olive oil in same pot; add onions and garlic, and saute until soft.
- 4. Add corn and saute until golden brown.
- 5. Add apple, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if desired); cook about 3-4 minutes.
- 6. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- 7. Set aside about 1 cup of the mixture.
- 8. Puree remainder in food processor or blender, adding a portion of the water, if needed, and return to pot.
- 9. Add browned chicken, black beans, chiles, bouillon, and water.
- 10. Bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes.
- 11. To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top with non-pureed portion of apple corn mixture.
Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.