Apple Cider

Apple Juice? Apple Cider? What’s the Difference?

  • Believe it or not, there is very little difference between apple juice and apple cider. Both are 100% juice squeezed from the apple.
  • Apple Juice has been filtered to remove solids and pasteurized (heat-treated) so that it will stay fresh longer.
  • Apple Cider is bottled raw without being strained of pulp or sediment, giving it a dark, cloudy look.

Healthful Hints for Your Family

  • Breathe Easy – Apples and apple cider contain flavonoids that contribute to better overall lung function. Studies show that they may also reduce the risk of lung cancer by as much as half.
  • Stay Heart Healthy – Antioxidant phytonutrients found in apples and apple cider may fight the damaging effects of the “bad” type of cholesterol on the cardiovascular system and thus help protect against heart disease.
  • Keep Cancer at Bay – Cornell University researchers reported that apple phytonutrients, naturally occurring nutrients found only in plants, inhabited the growth of colon cancer and liver cancer cells in the laboratory.
  • Serve Up Nutrition – Apples and apple cider have not fat, cholesterol, or sodium, and are an excellent source of fiber. At five grams, that’s more than most cereals.
  • 100% Juice – Apple cider provides more natural juice than juice “cocktails” or “beverages”, which often contain far less than 100% juice.

Handy Apple Cider Tips

  • Apple Cider can be frozen for later use. Pour cider into clean plastic containers and place in the freezer. Leave plenty of head room for the cider to expand as it freezes.
  • Freshly pressed cider that is purchased cold will stay fresh for 7 – 10 days in the refrigerator.
  • If your cider bottle begins expanding in the refrigerator, it’s time to toss it.

Cider Safety: Pasteurized vs. Non-Pasteurized

There is a difference between pasteurized and unpasteurized:

  • When fruit and vegetables are made into fresh-squeezed juice or cider, naturally occurring bacteria that may be present can become part of the finished product. Up to 98% of juice in the United States is pasteurized to eliminate harmful bacteria. The remaining 2% is unpasteurized. Unpasteurized juice and cider may contain harmful bacteria and can make some people with weakened immune systems sick.
  • To help consumers identify unpasteurized or pasteurized cider, the Food and Drug Administration requires a warning on these products.

 

Please note: We are unable to ship to P.O. Boxes. Please use a street address when ordering materials.